Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

Getting Old is Weird


So I was at McDonalds the other day (sigh...I know, shhhhh) and couldn't read the menu from my car and I had left my glasses on my desk. No kids in the car to read it for me. So I ordered my usual number 6, only to discover they changed the menu and I ended up with a McGriddle (which was shockingly better than I expected.)

I've worn glasses since I was 4 years old. Of course, glasses in the 80s were huge, plastic and coke-bottly. (That's a word, I swear it.) As I got older, I tried to buy more refined glasses that didn't make me look like a 3rd grade nerd. I pretended I didn't have glasses in my teens, and got into tons of trouble from my parents for not wearing them. I refused to wear them in school, mostly because my parents refused to buy me cool John Lennon glasses, and instead I got the clearance rack at Walmart, which generally were purple with sparkles in them. I don't even remember wearing them much in college, even though I studied a lot and all three of my roommates either wore glasses or contacts.

Now I'm 34, and I wear them almost the second I get up, to the second I get in bed. If I can't find my specs, I panic. My sunglasses are scratched to high heaven, and I desperately want them fixed. I was thinking about splurging and getting these lens changed out for new ones, and then getting my sunglasses lens changed out, plus a new pair of glasses also. That would probably set me back about $500. OR....should I spring for the Lasik? My insurance covers it now, I believe it's a $2000 copay. But...I would never have to wear glasses again. But I have that eyeball fear, guys. Lasers in my eyeballs? Oh dear, I'm faint.

I sort of like my glasses now. I think they make me look cute, plus Mr. R says I look like a "smoldering librarian" and what's not to love about that?!?!

1 comment:

Miriam said...

really girl, lasers in your eyeballs, while you're awake... why mess with smoldering...