Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Frustrating Day with a Teenager

I had yesterday the 29th off from work. Wanted to spend the day with Missy. She turned fourteen. Yes, that's right. 14. I have a lot of days when I can't believe that my oldest is that...well, old. Especially since most of the time, people still mistake me for a person in their 20s (I still get carded sometimes when I buy Mr. R his Corona.)

I scrimped, saved, and used Best Buy coupons for Missy's gift. A digital camera. Not a super duper camera, it's a Sony Sure Shot. Nice enough for a fourteen year old girl. It was the only gift I bought her, but it was expensive, and I knew she would love it.

Well, I thought she would.

I had to go to the dentist in the morning first. Got that cavity filled. Came home and she was still sleeping. Perfect. Poured a cup of coffee, made myself a small breakfast, and waited for her to wake up so I could present her with the awesome gift. I was really excited. I'm not a huge gift person myself, but I love buying gifts for others and watching them open it. I tend to put a lot of thought and energy into gifts. Probably because I have opened some awful gifts and don't want to put anyone through that!

She refused to open it. That's right. Looked at the gift with total disdain and said that she wanted to open it, but not in front of me or her dad. WHAT?!?! But that's sucking the joy out of the gift! I want to see you open it! I want to see your face! Nope. Didn't happen. She left it on the table, had breakfast, watched tv, and left it there. I felt like I'd been punched right in the face.

By the time she did open it, I was in the shower. Did she like the gift? Oh yes, she loved it. However, I never saw her open it, and I had to ask her dad if she had liked it. I think he was more ticked off than I was about it. "He snapped, yes, she loved it. Was it worth all the saving you put into that?" I had taken the day off so we could spend some time shopping and hanging out, but I was already done for the day. I went back to bed. Took an afternoon nap. Watched some tv. I even called into work, but they wouldn't let me clock in to get some of my vacation pay back. Missy and I eventually did end up at the mall, but I was less than enthused. I didn't buy anything for myself except a hairclip which I already broke. She bought some earrings, a pretzel, a soda, and some make-up.

So let me say in closing that if I happen to have any teenagers reading this, which I doubt, is that when your mom takes the time to buy you a present, no matter how crappy, just open the stupid thing and thank her. You don't know what she may have sacrificed (helloooo, I haven't colored my hair in months! You should see how much gray I'm sporting here) in order to buy you the present of your dreams.

6 comments:

Mary said...

She sounds like a typical teen. I have 2 boys, now 22 and 20, and the older one was like that. Whenever we would give him something, he would be like, "Is that all...?" (not exactly in so many words, but in attitude). After we had scrimped and saved!

However, now, at 22, he has outgrown that. He called me the other day to thank me specifically for the Red Lobster card I had given him to go out to dinner after doing his duty with the Air Force, as a new recruit who hasn't shipped out to basic training yet (he had to participate in an air show). It was out of town and needed to eat, so I gave him the card.

I couldn't believe it! And, now he is always telling me and his father what a lovely home he grew up in, where before, he disdained it.

God is good. Hang in there. They get "quirky" at that age.

Sarah R said...

I think I needed to hear something like that, Mary. Thanks. ;)

Miriam said...

d'oh!! I guess that's why they're teenagers and not adults when they turn 14... if it makes you feel any better, June peed on my favorite rug this morning... sigh... puppies...

Sarah R said...

Admittedly, Miriam, Missy didn't pee on any of the rugs today. Excellent point. ;)

Anonymous said...

Huh, I wasn't 14 that long ago (in college now), and if that had been my kid, she wouldn't have gotten the present - it would have been returned, any special plans/dinners would have been canceled and any expected presents from friends would have also been canceled via contacting their parents and explaining the situation.

I know that sounds harsh, but my college is filled to the brim with products of lax discipline and I assure you, the effects are not good. Had I behaved that way, my behind would have been BEAT. But that's not PC anymore...

Sorry for the anon comment. :)

Sarah R said...

That's a fair comment. I sure wish it wasn't anonymous, but I'll let it go through.

I'm curious as to whether anonymous has any children yet. In college, it's possible.