Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Sunday, Blessed Sunday

Have you ever heard that country song, "What I Love About Sunday" by Craig Morgan? Its goes a bit like this:

That's what I love about Sunday:
Cat-napping on the porch swing;
You curled up next to me,
The smell of jasmine wakes us up.
Take a walk down a back road,
Tackle box and a cane pole;
Carve our names in that white oak,
steal a kiss as the sun fades,
That's what I love about Sunday,
Oh, yeah.

Ooh, new believers gettin' baptized,
Momma's hands raised up high,
Havin' a Hallelujah good time
A smile on everybody's face.
That's what I love about Sunday,
Oh, yeah.

To me, Sunday is a relief. It is my recharge. I sleep in until about 7:30 (or until the dog howls to be let out.) I drink my coffee slowly. I either make a big breakfast for me and Mr. R, if he's home, or just toast for me. I wake up the children, and we have the time to say *Good Morning* to each other. I usually wear a nice outfit. The kids are at that age where if you dress them up in a suit or dress, they will be scratching and itching, so they just wear their regular clothes. If Mr. R is home, he'll still wear his jeans, but with a polo instead of a tee shirt. If its not hot, we'll walk, but we usually drive. I go to my Sunday school class, the kids go to theirs. Then, the kids walk home while I attend church. I do not force them to attend the regular service. At their age, I do think that Sunday school is enough, especially for Bucket. I know people will disagree with me, but as they get older and more mature, they will be able to sit in church. For right now, all they do is squirm and whine. Missy doesn't, but she walks them home. She likes being in charge and she knows I appreciate the hour to myself for worship and renewal. When I finally do walk in the door, I am usually in a much better mood, and I think the entire house benefits!
I did read my four proverbs. I've flipped through Proverbs before, but never in a "study" mode, more of a light reading thing. I actually sat down at the table with a pen and highlighters, okay? That's SERIOUS! ;) I was chuckling over some of the proverbs, not because they're stupid or ridiculous, but just how SILLY we humans can be. We actually need instructions on wisdom and listening to our moms and not being evil. Apparently, not much has changed in the thousands of years since the Proverbs were written. Evil still abounds, people plot to defraud and hurt others, and doesn't it seem like we'll listen to anyone on TV who claims to be an "expert" but doubt the sincerity of the Word?
Yeah, I think we still need our Proverbs. Don't think we've advanced much since back then. If anything, I think it could be worse. So far, my favorite verse is from Proverbs 3:33-35. It states:

The Lord's curse is on the house of the wicked, but he blesses the home of the righteous. He mocks proud mockers but gives grace to the humble. The wise inherit honor, but fools he holds up to shame.

Is the Lord blessing your home today?

No comments: