Pages

Friday, June 19, 2009

Living Arrangements

I realize most of my readers (all?) have never been to my house. I did take a few pictures, but those were the public parts of my house.
With Mr. R's mom getting ready to move in, some changes will have to be made.

Right now, my boys share a room which is about 11x11. Way too small for even them. It was cute when they were toddlers, not so much as pre-teens. Missy has an 11x11 room all to herself. Then Mr. R and I share the master bedroom, which is about 15x12. It does have a master bathroom attached to it, which is so small, that Mr. R and I can't stand in there at the same time. Yet it does the trick.

I just can't force Missy to share a room with her grandma. That will be the end of her having friends over, having sleepovers, and just having a private area, which is essential for teenage girls. I can't make all three kids share a room, as that is illegal in my state, plus the rooms are just too tiny.

I have pretty much figured out that I am going to move the boys into the master suite, have Mr. R's mom move into the boys' bedroom, and that Mr. R and I get to sleep and live in the living room. There is pretty much no other choice. Mr. R and the boys can share the master closet, and Missy and I can share a closet. Since we don't have a sofa bed, or even a sofa large enough for us to sit on anyway, I plan to go out sometime soon to purchase an inflatable bed. That way, we can still have the living room open for guests during the day, and it will be my bedroom at night.

A great solution? Not on your life. I think it sucks. But there is no where else to put anyone anymore. I'm out of room, I'm out of solutions, and I'm out of patience. I'm tired of my house being treated as a hotel by his family. And if I say one word about how unfair this is, all he tells me is "I can't let my mama be homeless." Who can argue against that? If I do, it's suddenly me being a you-know-what. There is no winning here. So I've lost my house and my privacy to her. So I'm sleeping in the living room. I pay almost $1500 a month for a house in which I don't even have a bedroom anymore. Fabulous.

3 comments:

Kathi said...

Oh dear. Why does hubby's mother have to move in with you? Aren't there any other siblings that could take her in? Do you have a garage you could convert into another bedroom? No, this is not fair or reasonable! You need your own space! If mom is moving in will she be helping with expenses?
Maybe you could take some of her money and build on to your house??
I can't imagine six people trying to share a three bedroom house....

Sarah R said...

Mr. R does have two other siblings. His sister, Sissy, who is having major ex-husband issues, and only has a tiny studio apartment herself. Mr. R's brother is committed to the state mental hospital. So we are the only ones.
She is unemployed and only living on social security, which we both know is not enough to rent even the tiniest place in Central Florida.

That is our idea for now, that if she is going to move in with us and it be a long term thing, that will be build onto the house, and it will be her responsibility to help pay for it. Convincing Mr. R to talk to his mom about it, is another story entirely.

mom2nji said...

I want to scream for you! This is insane. I wish I had a solution.