Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2009

I Can't Win These Days!


Now that Mr. R's sister has moved into her own place, I've been relaxing. It was nice having someone to talk to (a grown-up! oh my!) at lunch, but the stress of dealing with Jay was too much for me. So while I miss her company, I don't miss her drama.
So let's add new drama, shall we?
Mr. R's mom called at 8:30 this morning. Even for her, that is pretty early. Mr. R answered it, although I was already dreading what she had to say. This is a woman who thrives on drama, whereas I hide from it. 8:30 am phone calls are not to tell me about what she bought at the grocery store, you dig?
And I was right.
Her boyfriend was laid off from his job of 20 years, which I admit is a total bummer. He is going to file for employment, but if he doesn't get enough to pay the bills, he is just going to pack up and move to South Carolina into his parent's home until he can find a new job. Awesome plan for him. It just happens to leave Mr. R's mom out in the cold. You see, the boyfriend's parents can't stand Mr. R's mom. They have quite the volatile relationship and when they argue, they manage to drag everyone into it (see "drama love", above.) So if the boyfriend moves to SC, that leaves Granny homeless. And you know what that means, right?

"Guess what! I'm moving in with ya'll!"

Telling me this info before I even had my morning java didn't go over well. I do believe I said something about removing our front door and charging for admission. I believe I also mentioned that she was going to pay to have a fourth bedroom built onto our home so that my poor daughter didn't have to share a room with her incontinent nicotine addicted grandmother. Yeah, don't tell me bad crap before I have my coffee. Sheesh.

You people out in blogland all need to pray for my sanity, because I could surely use a cup of it around here.

Now, before you are all thinking I'm badmouthing my mother-in-law...well, I guess I sort of am. This lady comes with more baggage than your local airport. She has anxiety issues, incontinence issues, she refuses to smoke outside even though our Tiger has asthma issues, gives my work phone number to all of her friends and complains to people that I'm a slob. (I admit that I'm not the best housekeeper. Anyone else out there with three kids and a full time job that has a perfect house? I hear crickets...) However, she has lots of good points. She is an excellent gardener and our lawn and plants looked beautiful when she lived here before (about four years ago.) She makes the best meatloaf EVER. She babysat the kids so Mr. R and I could go out on dates together. She has a way with Bucket that makes me smile. She does dishes! So while I'm not thrilled about the idea of her coming back, I'm trying to think about the positive and not dwell on the bad.

2 comments:

mom2nji said...

you should be sainted... thats all I am saying. And Granny smokes outside!

Sarah R said...

We used to catch her sneaking cigs in the bathroom. I'm sorry, but poop smells entirely different than smoke.