Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Where Has the Time Gone?


This morning, I got up and turned the coffee pot on. Started waking sleepy children. Sleepy myself, I stumbled through the house. Left the news off because I already know how the weather will be...hot, with a chance of burning pavement. I reveled in the relative silence, just the dog snoring, children yawning and stretching, and the percolating burps of Mr. Coffee. Even though I wake up and immediately start "doing" stuff, I felt relatively relaxed. I prayed that it would be a smooth morning.
And it was. Until my oldest boy, Tiger, got up.
He did nothing wrong. He was cheerful, boisterous, his usual loud self. I was in the bedroom when I heard him speaking.
I immediately dropped what I was doing.
Is that Mr. R home a few hours early?
That deep, manly voice, in the living room? Is Mr. R home?
Oh no. Just my 12 year old son, talking to his older sister.
I immediately felt tears rush to my eyes, completely by surprise. 12 years ago, I was playing with a ten day old baby boy. And now he's in my living room, with a voice deeper than mine, and almost as deep as his father's voice. He's starting to grow a mustache and he's very proud of it. He wears a size 12 shoe in men's, the same size as his father. Size 32 waist in pants in men's clothing. He is, in essence, a man in training. I marveled at how fast 12 years go by. I never thought as I cradled my baby boy that I held a future musician in my arms, a boy who loves ketchup but hates tomatoes, and can eat almost an entire pizza on his own.
The years go by quickly, but they are such a blessing. I can't wait to see what happens next.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

It does go by so quickly, doesn't it?

Mine are 18, 16 and 15 in just 2 short weeks. They all have deep man voices. Two of them are taller than Doug. I never know who I am talking to when I call home and they answer the phone. It is just so weird!

mom2nji said...

Awww sob. It goes soo fast.