Pages

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Breakfast!

In my previous post, I mentioned how much I love breakfast. I'm not sure if it's a reminder of carefree days in college when we ended up at Village Inn at 2am for pancakes and eggs. Or just that the food is generally simple and hard to mess up. Either way, it's always been a favorite of mine. Who is the person who decided that breakfast could only be eaten during morning hours? I have been known to make myself scrambled eggs and toast for dinner, especially when I'm not feeling well. So yes, I do consider it comfort food. Plus it goes so well with coffee!

This morning, I made an easy breakfast sandwich. Please understand, I would normally never subject ya'll to my cooking, as I love you and don't want any of you to die. But this was easy enough even for a lunk like me.

Take two pieces of sourdough bread. Sourdough is yummy and it's healthy for you. (I don't believe in the Atkins diet, why would one eliminate one entire type of food?) I toasted the sourdough. Then I took my little omelet pan and cracked one egg into it, and made a very simple one egg omelet with no cheese, just pepper. Then I microwaved two turkey sausage patties while I made my omelet. Each patty is 65 calories. I used half a tablespoon of butter for my omelet so it wouldn't stick to the pan, and the other half tablespoon to butter my sourdough toast. One tablespoon is 100 calories. It seems like a lot, but I don't touch margarine. That is fake food and I like real food, ya dig?

Put both patties on the bottom piece of bread (mine fit perfectly.) Take the omelet out of pan, put directly on top of the patties. Put the other piece of sourdough toast and put it on top of the eggs. Cut the sandwich in half, and you have a delicious, homemade HEALTHY breakfast sandwich! I had two cups of coffee with mine, with real half and half (again, NO FAKE FOOD!) and a carton of cherry vanilla yogurt. All of it was around 800 calories. I'm full, I'm happy, I'm warm, and now I'm ready to work. I have a good amount of fuel to keep me going without getting a headache, plus I did my morning walk already.

2 comments:

Miriam said...

I love real food too, not to be neurotic, but with all the fake foods we ingest, it's no wonder we have so many new illnesses... sigh, I know, it's paranoid, but something in our habits is creating them...

Sarah R said...

I absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, I'm still weaning the kids off the crap that *I* introduced them to. It's a process.