Pages

Friday, June 27, 2008

Ode to a Man Coming Home

Currently, my dear husband is sitting in a Jacksonville Publix warehouse waiting to get milk unloaded from his truck. As soon as they're done unloading him, he has to drive home. He is so tired. While I was talking to him on the phone, I could hear him dozing slightly as I talked. And no, I'm not that boring! (I think?) He drove straight from Dallas to Jacksonville in one setting.
Of course, being a total man, the first thing he asked me is "Sarah, what's for dinner?" For a change, I had an answer. Homemade chicken pot pie! Now, before you all go ooohing and aaahhing at me, its not completely homemade. I take leftover chicken from another meal. Then I buy frozen pie crusts in the dessert section. I pour in a can of chicken gravy, either frozen or canned veggies, the chopped up chicken, and mix it all up. Then I throw the second pie crust over it, cinch the edges, cut a design in the top (why? Is it so the pie doesn't blow up in the oven? I don't know, I just saw my mom do it, so I do it too) and bake in the oven until the crust gets brown. Mr. R absolutely adores this meal. And its so thrifty because you can throw whatever you want in there. I'm not sure this would work with leftover fish, but I bet you could do something with leftover hamburger or steak or turkey. This is a great way to use leftovers. I think it would probably freeze well too.
Beyond Mr. R coming home, Bucket has his very first dentist appointment today. Yes, I'm about 9 years late. But come on...the kid has had so many issues, that the dentist was the last thing I was thinking about. I know it's wrong on so many levels, but when your child is busy trying to commit suicide, I'm sure most wouldn't be worried about his smile. Ya know? Anyway, I'll let you all know how it goes. Bucket is not happy about the situation at all, especially since this dentist will not allow parents in the back (not sure what I think of this nazi approach, but we shall see.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't even want to admit that my kids have never been to the dentist and I don't even have an excuse.

Good luck with Bucket tomorrow.

Sarah R said...

Thanks Julia!
I admit I was expecting them to look down on me, but no one did. Especially since Bucket did very well, and he had NO CAVITIES!