Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Twice In One Year

Well, for the second time in less than one year, I was fired.

The new job, which in one of my previous posts I mentioned that I hated, fired me yesterday.  I am more relieved than upset.  I wanted to quit on day 2, and let me explain why.

I was three days late to training.  No one's fault, the lab just took an incredibly long time with my drug panel.  So while everyone else was working learning Monday through Wednesday, I was at home.  On Thursday, I finally started, and quite far behind.  I asked my trainer if there was any way I could catch up during lunch, or on breaks.  Denied.  I asked if there was anyone available to stay late, so I could learn.  Again, denied.  So, without knowing how their system worked (totally different than my last job) I floundered and made a lot of mistakes.

What really bugs me is that we were told repeatedly, "If you're having trouble, please let us know.  We'll help you."  And when I asked, I was fired for asking too many questions and "not being able to keep up a fast pace."  Excuse me, but training shouldn't include a "fast pace."  It's about learning new skills and applying them properly before you pick up speed.  The recruiter at my temp agency apologized profusely, said she couldn't believe they would fire me for something like that after seven days in the office.  Seven days! Luckily for me, I knew on day 2 that this place sucked and I never stopped applying for jobs.

Today, I'm home.  I'm happy, but feel guilty for letting my husband and kids down.  But I have a lot to do today!  For one, I'm going to clean off my desk and find all the paperwork from previous jobs applied, and follow up.  I'm going to do some deep cleaning because poor Missy has been sick for two weeks.  I'm going to listen to praise and worship music, drink coffee, go for a walk, and do some Jamberry stuff.  Ohhh, as much as I love coding, I almost wish I could do Jamberry as my only job.  I'm really starting to love the product more and more!

No comments: