Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Adventures in Raising The Bucket

It was 29 degrees this morning.  Way colder than my native Floridian kids are used to, and I turned the heat on for them.
Bucket, as usual, was up waaaay before Tiger.
He was fussing as he got dressed.  He was cold.
I said, "Do you have a long sleeved tee shirt?"
Bucket said, "Yeah."
I said, "Why don't you layer?"
Dead silence, wide eyes.
I said, "Layer your clothes."
Still no response.
"Are you listening to me?"
"Yeah.  I just don't know what you mean.  What is layer?"  He then began quoting Shrek.  "Ogres are like onions!  Onions have layers!"
Did he think I was calling him an onion or an ogre?
So I showed him to put the long sleeved tee shirt on first, then put his favorite Metallica shirt over it so only the sleeves of the longer shirt showed.  He was delighted.
"Hey, Mom, that's pretty smart.  Where'd you learn that?"
"Uhhh, I grew up in New York, kiddo.  We dress like that from October to April, pretty much."
"Wow!  That's genius!  Thanks, Mom!"

Yep, I'm a layering genius.  Take that, Stacey and Clinton!