Pages

Friday, August 21, 2009

HOORAY!!!

As I posted several weeks ago, my regular pcp, Dr. B, fired me from his practice. I had questioned him on the results on one of my diabetes test. Apparently, being an advocate of your own health is sternly frowned upon over there. I was angry at first, then relieved. The guy was a jerk and I don't miss his condescending nature for one minute.

So I looked through the FH directory and tried to find a new pcp, simply by looking at names. Yeah, that's really hard to do. I didn't want to drive to Orlando every time, and I wanted a doctor who speaks English proficiently (harder to find in my area than you'd think.) So I came across a female doctor whose name I could actually pronounce, and I called up to make an appointment. They asked me if I wanted to transfer my records from another physician, and I said, "No, I'm going to be interviewing your physician first to see if we're a good fit." You see, peeps, you can do that. Doctors work for YOU. Not the other way around.

Anyhoodle, I was pleased as punch to find out 1) She spoke English clearly 2) She listened to me speak. Really! 3) Asked me what approach I wanted to take regarding my medications 4) was fatter than me!

I haven't weighed myself in months, and was glad that I was 266. Not low for me, but I haven't gained a ton back either. Still too high by about 100 pounds, per the world, but meh. She asked me...she actually asked me!..."Are you happy here, or would you like to lose?" I said, I'm not happy here, I'd like to lose, but until my bp is under control, I am scared to exercise vigorously. She nodded and said, "Your blood pressure is 130/100. If you did exercise vigorously, you would probably pass out from the pressure. Let's work on your bp, get it down, and then you can get back in the gym, or on the bike, or whatever makes you happy."

Can I get an AMEN around here?!?! Finally! She said EXACTLY what I've been trying to tell the jerk pcp for months. How do you expect me to drop pounds when I feel like my head is going to ricochet off my neck at any minute?!?! All he kept saying was, lose weight, lose weight, lose weight, and the bp will come down. Actually, he had those steps backwards. The bp needs to come down, before I can exercise in a way that will take those pounds off. I'd been trying to say that for months, and this new pcp got it right. I had my records transferred from the jerk and will be happily staying with Dr. V. (the new lady I like so much.)

** disclaimer: If you have a doctor you like who is foreign or has a heavy accent, and you LIKE him/her, then by all means, stick with that person. My physician search was about ME, and what makes ME comfortable, and I don't like having to translate from one language to another in my head. My health is too important for me to have to ask someone to constantly repeat themselves so I can understand them. My kids' pediatrician is from India, and I understand her perfectly. If Spanish or Creole is your first language, then I bet you'd be more comfortable with someone who speaks those languages too, and that's fine. Remember, it's all about YOU!

No comments: