Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Not Corporate

As I'm sure ya'll noted, I was not feeling well on Monday. I didn't go into specifics because it was kinda gross (let's just say it involved the digestive system and my bathroom, ok?) but I was not a happy camper. Calling in sick was not an option because another co-worker was out, and I didn't want to dump (pun absolutely intended) on my other co-workers. I'm fly like that. I worked to the absolute best of my ability, but between the pain and the three-to-four-times-per-hour-trips-to-the-bathroom issues, I didn't get as much done as normal. Still, I was pleased that I was doing my best to be a team player and not be a burden to my team at the hospital.

Shocked I was when Nicola called me this morning to say hello. She normally doesn't call me at 7:45 so I was concerned that Baby A might be ill. Oh no...she was calling to tell me that an upper management person was complaining about how I handled one account on Monday, that I dropped the ball and needed to be officially reprimanded for my faux pas. I reminded Nicola that not only was I working when horribly ill, but that I was doing my work plus covering for the co-worker who was out on vacation. Nicola assured me that she told upper management these facts, but that "my excuses were not acceptable to them." Excuses? EXCUSES?!?! I was doing the very best that I could under awful circumstances! If I had a job where I had to sit in an office, I would have had to call in sick, as there was no way I could have shown up looking, acting and (ugh) smelling the way I did. Nicola said she felt awful having to call me with this information, but that due to me missing one phone call, she would have to place a reprimand in my file. I told her I would not sign it, and in fact had every intention of contesting the reprimand and bringing it to the attention of our director. She said she understood, but she was under orders and had no choice but to formally issue the complaint against me.

Next time I'm just going to call in sick. And that, my friends, is why I'm not corporate. I care about people, not accounts.

4 comments:

Elspeth said...

No good deed goes unpunished, huh?

Next time, call in sick.

Miriam said...

that sucks to hear , my friend, but don't let 'the man' break you... we love you out here, and the man be damned... we know you're the bee's knees...

mom2nji said...

Ooooh makes me want say some potty words! How Rude!

Sarah R said...

I have some awesome friends...you guys rule. *sniff* I love my peeps!
And I am SO the bees knees! lol