Pages

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Trying To Be Thankful

I am blessed.  My husband is home for Thanksgiving.  We have enough money to pay our bills.  I have two job interviews today (one is a second interview with the life insurance place again...no one gave an opinion in the comments?) and my children are healthy right now.

But yet, I am struggling with anger over being let go, even still.  I gave that place my all and was thrown out the door after a simple mistake which hurt no one (except me.)  The part time coding job at home is very slow.  I didn't even get any charts this morning, even though I got up early so I could work.  I am not one of those people who feel that a woman should bring in a wage...by taking care of a home and raising children, a woman does one of the most important jobs in the world!  I feel more guilty because my job loss means my husband has to work more, which is not good for his back.  If it wasn't for that, I don't know if I'd be looking this hard.

Here we are at worship together.  Our youngest son, Bucket, took this photo.

My temp job starts in less than two weeks.  So I know I will have money to get my kids a little something for Christmas.  I'm so glad they're older so I can explain to them that gifts will be little to nothing this year due to my job loss.  That part doesn't bother me too much.  I was hoping to decorate the house this year because I lost baby December during this Thanksgiving holiday weekend last year.  I never got into the spirit of Christmas last year, having no energy at all after my surgery.  Can you believe it's been a year already since I lost my little one?

I get emotional seeing this.  Thanks, Pinterest.
The second interview today is at a place which is local to me, doing insurance verification and authorizations, and giving tours of the facility (less than a 20 minute drive, in my own county!) and would be ideal, but I don't know about the pay.  I wish there was a law that if an employer advertises for a job, they have to give the starting salary in the description.  I find myself applying for jobs and when I get to the interview, they want tons of experience (which I have) and only want to start off at minimum wage or just a bit more.  I talked with a friend of mine who stated the same thing happened to her, and that's why she started her own business.  It's true that I have Jamberry (I'm not a millionaire off it, but I was able to pay my water bill with it this month!) but I wish I could find something with benefits.  If it wasn't for the health care law that passed, I'd just go without, but now you get penalized for not having medical insurance.  Smooth move, way to go government, hurting people who are already hurting.  I love my country, but I do not like my government.  Jerks.

I leave you Psalm 100, which is known as the Thanksgiving Psalm.  Have a wonderful, joyful Thanksgiving to my readers.

Psalm 100 King James Version (KJV)

100 Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have known two people that sold life insurance. They both hated it and could not pay their bills w/ what they were bringing in. Unless this guy is going to promise you a base salary, I wouldn't do it. -Natalie

Sarah R said...

Nope, no base salary is included. But I'm at the point where even a small something is better than nothing. I sure appreciate the feedback, Natalie!

Anonymous said...

I actually wanted to say more but had to get back to work . The two women I spoke of that it didn’t work out for them: The first one was use to making $75,000+ year (she was displaced as a computer programmer) and the other one was not out going and lacked self-confidence. YOU may do well but I *think* it is a very high turnover field and you will not even be making minimum wage at first. Something to consider – I work for a major (red) bank and I pay less than $15 a month for life insurance for my husband & children – you will have to sign up a ton of people to make a living even w/ 50% commission on policies like mine. At first I thought that you were only going to big companies and answering questions about the policies, and out brochures, etc. I have a friend that does that with vision insurance. She is hourly (no commission) and she enjoys it. The bad(?) part is that she is employed through a temp agency not the insurance company and very limited hours. But at least when she works, she knows she’ll be bringing home a check. I hate to be ‘Negative Natalie’ but you did ask for opinions. I have been where you are and I understand completely how your moods go up and down day-by-day. It will all work out for the better (been through it 2+ times and I always got a better job) just hang in there and try to exercise if you can every day (even a short walk will help). When I was out of work the YMCA offered a program “The work out for the out of work” when if you had been displaced – you could use the gym for free. -Natalie