Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I Can Finally Share Our News...

This has been about a month in the making, but I can finally tell my bloggy friends:

MR. R FINALLY FOUND A LOCAL JOB!!!

I kept it to myself for the longest time, in case it didn't work out. I was very skeptical. On the Monday we returned from Charlotte, we looked in our local paper for jobs. And there was nothing. I mean, the only driving jobs open were for Dominos, which isn't exactly what he's looking for. So that Monday, we decided to stop looking. Just be grateful for what we have, because so many don't even have what we do.

Tiger has saxophone lessons on Tuesdays. We were still pretty worn out from the drive from Charlotte to Florida, and Mr. R wanted to cancel it, but we would have had to pay Doug the music teacher anyway, so I insisted that Mr. R take him. And while there, Mr. R saw the owner of the music store talking to another customer and pointing at him. Mr. R, being the nosy booger that he is, decided to walk up and introduce himself and find out why they were talking about him. Turns out the other customer is a guy named Aaron, who is a supervisor for the USPS transportation department. He just had to let some other guy go, and was looking for another driver. The owner of the store, Mac, sees Mr. R pull up for Tiger's lesson and says, "Hey, that guy is a truck driver." And seriously, folks, that is how Mr. R got his new job. I couldn't make this up if I tried.

After praying, talking, discussing, weighing pros and cons, he decided to go for it. He already took the drug test, submitted all the government paperwork, got his security badge, and passed the driving test. Mr. R is in Nebraska right now, doing his last run. As of Monday, he will be local, and we will see him EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Now, this is not all pots of gold and fluffy kittens. The hours stink. He only has one day off per week, which is Monday. He is working nights. We still won't see him for dinner, he still won't get to go to church. But this is a foot in the door, and as other routes open up, he could move around. He was nervous about quitting his current job, as he'd been there for five years, but they were incredibly supportive and wished him the very best. No drama, no screaming, and they gave him a good run for his last time so we can have money to live on before he gets his first check from the USPS.

I have moments when I can't believe this is happening. Then I chide myself and say, "Of course this is happening, Sarah! As soon as you got your butt out of the way, God was able to move people in the right places, at the right time!" After all, had Mr. R not taken Tiger that day. If we hadn't taken his resume off-line. If we hadn't decided to be grateful for what we already had...maybe none of this would have happened. So all I can do is smile, be thankful, and praise Him for mountains moved.

4 comments:

Allen Skipper said...

You write so well. I need lessons from you..

Sarah R said...

Awww, you're too kind. I just write from the heart.

Unknown said...

Congrats! I know this is a step in the right direction! I am so excited for you guys!

Kelly said...

Sarah, I am so, so, so incredibly happy for you!! I know how much this would thrill me!

Doug's friend works for FedEx and did the whole night thing waiting for a new run. It took him 18 months and now he works days mon-fri.

I pray you have a smooth transition getting used to having your sweetie home every day. And I'll not even be jealous, just incredibly happy for you my friend.