Pages

Friday, September 4, 2009

I Ain't Skeered



Have you heard the outcry? Have you heard the hysterical parents, bemoaning the speech that Obama plans to give our schoolchildren next week? What do you think about this?

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a moderately conservative Christian, and I didn't vote for Obama. I didn't vote for him because my politics do not line up with his, it is as simple as that. I'm not a racist. I don't hate the guy. He just doesn't reflect my values, that's all. Sometimes, it really can be that simple, you know?

I am going to allow my children to watch the speech in schools on Tuesday, unlike other conservative parents. Why, you ask? Because like it or not, this is the time in history that I'm living in right now. I see nothing gained by sticking my fingers in my ears and screaming "LALALALA" during this speech. Seriously, that's just childish.



My daughter is fourteen years old. In four years, she will eligible to vote. What better time for her to watch politics in action, study it, learn from it?
Even if Obama's politics are different than your own, this is an excellent learning tool. I strongly encourage all parents, not just liberals or conservatives, to watch this speech. And then TALK ABOUT IT. Don't be scared. Listen to what the man...our president...has to say. Many people will not agree with him. Many will. But how will you know if you don't listen?

No comments: