Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sweet Score at the Goodwill

I'm not ashamed to say I shop at Goodwill. I tend to pick up jeans for my boys there because they are so rough on them, and Missy has been known to find a purse or a book there. I normally don't look too much, because I am a plus size lady, and the usual plus size pickings involve leggings and oversize tee shirts (shudder.) I dropped off a bag of donation items (Mr. R uses them as tax write-offs for his business) and since it was only Missy and I, I decided to go in to look around.
I didn't have anything in mind, but I do love to browse. It's hard to do that with the boys in tow. I was actually looking for some lamps for our very dark living room, but the pickings were slim. I wandered over to the plus size rack...and GASPED.
My favorite Lane Bryant pants of all time...in my size. In PERFECT condition. For $3.69!!! I already have two pairs, one in black, one in brown. I literally wear them every time I have a department meeting at work, or to church. They skim perfectly over the tush, have the perfect width on the leg (not bootcut, but not flare either) and they were...GASP...gray pin-stripe! Vertical lines to make a chubby chick seem taller! I snatched them off the rack immediately. I didn't even bother to try them on. Those babies were MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE.



So I decided, finally, a big girl with taste donated clothes. I wonder if there is anything else in here. So I started to peruse. Lots of stained tee shirts. Lots of ripped, holy leggings. Lots of tapered khakis. Finally, I found two Venezia tops, one in deep purple, one in brown. I squealed. SCORE AGAIN! Then, right behind it, was a black modal 3/4 sleeve top with a lace inset. I'm a bit pickier about my shirts since I happen to sport some big ol boobies, so I hopped into the private room to try on my goodies.
They all fit. Every single shirt. The two Venezia tops are a bit big in the shoulder, but the seams can be taken in easily. The black lacy top fit perfectly. And of course, my LB pants are on my tush as we speak. They are a bit long, but they would probably work ok in heels. Since I don't wear heels very often, I will probably hem them about an inch.



I happen to know that the LB pants are $54.50 retail. I got them for $3.69! Each of the shirts were $3.69 as well. Then the cashier asked me if I was a college student. When I replied that I was, she asked to see my college ID, which I actually had on me...and I got 10% off!
So, for $14.15, I got one pair of pants and three new tops. And that, my friends, is a good day at the Goodwill. Carry on.

6 comments:

mom2nji said...

Whoo Hooo awesome! I can feel ya on the lack of plus size resale or thrift clothes. Did your GW have any jeans for boys? Mine had NONE!

Sarah R said...

No, but they each got about 3 pairs of jeans for Christmas. Plus my sister in law has a 15 year old son so I get his leftovers. Girl, I didn't even LOOK for them. It was all about me!

DC Goodwill Fashionista said...

Sweet finds! Our Goodwill stores have started pulling plus sizes onto their own racks for easy shopping. There's still some bigger sizes mixed in with the rest, but you can go straight to those two or three racks if you're looking for something specific. We have sizes for everybody at Goodwill! -the DCGF

Sarah R said...

Hi DC...welcome to my blog! I'm going to start following yours. Thanks for stopping by.

Amy Chastek said...

Glad that college ID is paying off:)

Kathi said...

Hi Sarah. Loved this post about Goodwill! There's a place here in Birmingham called Mission Possible that I go to first when I'm looking for something. I got a cute little antique ironing board for $3, a beautiful purple wool sweater for $1.50 (it's COLD here!), pants, shirts, more sweaters... I needed a whole new
winter wardrobe and I got it all there! Missing the Florida sunshine!