Pages

Monday, August 11, 2008

Conversation with a Bucket


Heard in the car on the way to buy new school clothes:

"Mom, I don't know if I should tell you this, but I think I'm in love."
"Oooh, really? Who is it?"
"Well, I don't know her name. But I love her."
"Ok, well, what can you tell me about her?"
"She's in fifth grade like me, she loves Jesus, and she's pretty."

Hmmm, sounds like a future daughter-in-law.

"Mom, I want her to be my girlfriend."
(Me, snickering deep inside): "Ummm, did you ask her?"
Bucket: "I guess I should get her name first."

Yes, indeed.

"Mom, how do I get a girlfriend?"
So I went on this long tirade about how to be a good friend, how to be polite, how to be honorable and loving...oh I was impressed with myself. It took me a good ten minutes. After I was done, I looked over at my darling Bucket to see how amazed he was at my wisdom. He rolled his eyes, grabbed the cell phone, and called Mr. R. He asked the same question...and this is what I heard:

"Son, just brush your teeth and tell her she's pretty. That'll do."

2 comments:

Miriam said...

Bhahahaha!! are we really that easy?!! clean teeth and pretty words... hahaha brilliant!! We are some fancy animals...

Sarah R said...

I have to admit, I do enjoy a Colgate fueled flirtation session myself.
It's funny, I thought the same thing. "I can't possibly be that easy..." But thinking back to when I met his daddy...yes I was. *sigh*