Pages

Monday, September 3, 2018

Getting Closer

It's really kind of sad, but with my daughter in jail for a few more weeks, I've been more relaxed and happy than ever.  Don't get me wrong; I miss her.  But I miss my real daughter, not that drug addicted thief I used to live with.  I hope my real daughter is the one who returns but I'm terrified that as soon as she's out, she will relapse and I will have to bury my firstborn.

But for now, I spend time with my husband.  We relish our empty nest syndrome (me more than him) and we can just get up and go out without worrying about child care.  It's really nice!

A pleasant walk on New Smyrna Beach on a cloudy Sunday afternoon.
My full time job is going very well.  Hard to believe I'll be there almost two years!  It's definitely the best job I've ever had, hands down.  I feel valued, challenged, and respected in this position and I've turned down other possible positions that paid more, but it's hard for me to leave a job I love so much.  I don't even mind the drive (especially since I have my new car!) and I still get the giggles when I get to leave early at 1pm every Friday as one of my perks.

I love my second job too.  I'm actually currently "working" right now as I write this blog post.  I have 30 minutes left in my "office hour" but I'm done grading.  So as long as I hang out and wait for any of my students to appear, I can do pretty much whatever I want.

My husband finally left his job as a long distance trucker.  He came home and took a temp job as a dump truck driver, all the while looking for something else local with reasonable hours.  It's ridiculous how many hours these local jobs were expecting their drivers to work with no rest and no over time.  He's not a very old guy (46 in December) but he couldn't keep up with the ridiculous hours and was reaching burn out very quickly.  On a whim, I said, "it's a shame you can't teach truck driving like I'm teaching coding."  So we googled that and it turned out that two nearby truck driving schools were hiring instructors.  I applied for him to the nearest one, they literally called the next day wanting to talk to him!  He then went in the following day to do a road test, they took copies of his license, and I kid you not, two days later they offered him a full time position as an instructor!  He took it, he starts next week and we will finally have a life with each other!  We are both so excited about this part of our lives together.  We have spent a lot of years apart and while we can't get that time back, we can certainly be excited about the future.

How are you feeling about your future these days?

No comments: