Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

High School

As many of you know, my oldest, Missy is a freshman in high school. To say she hates it...is putting it mildly. While I enjoyed high school (boys!) and after school activities (boys!) and football games (boys in tights!) she hates it with a passion that is right up there with doing your taxes and jock itch. She has made a few friends, but she is not into drama, and therefore loses said friends quickly. She doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, and is not a fashionista. This is a girl who dreams of getting a condo on the beach, and being a bakery manager at Publix. While other girls peruse the racks of clothes at Target, I find her in the kitchen section. She knows what she wants, and frankly, I admire that in a 14 year old. The girl is not Harvard or UF bound, and I'm ok with that. Not everyone has to go to a 4 year college to be a success.

She texted me today from a class she hated, to tell me she was sick of high school. Asked me if there was anyway she could graduate early. Well, in Florida, there IS a way. They have virtual online school. While she is still going to high school, if she takes one extra class per semester, and two over the summer, she will have 8 extra credits and be able to graduate at the end of her junior year, when she is 16. She is a self motivated kid...I'm pretty sure she can handle it. What say you, readers? Should I spring for the laptop for my freshman girl, so she can graduate a year early and be a 16 year old college student, getting her degree in culinary arts?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning -

If she dislikes school, yes I think it would be a good idea. I wish that they would have had that when I went to school - I would have wanted to do the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Good morning -

If she dislikes it, I think it would be a good thing for her. Not everyone is suited for the traditional schooling route. If she is mature enough to handle it and is happy with her decision, then I think it would be a healthy thing for her. There is nothing worse in the world being in an enviornment that breaks your spirit....

Laura

Sarah R said...

I published the Chinese stuff just because it was pretty...I have no idea what it says.

Laura, I agree with you. Had this been an option when I was in high school (which was the 90s) I am pretty sure I would have graduated early too. I spent my entire last year taking English and 6 electives because I was already done. It was so boring!

I never thought about it breaking her spirit, but now that you've said that...you have me thinking on a different path. Thank you!

Unknown said...

I have to agree! If she is willing to do the work to graduate early, than I think you should let her. She sounds like she has her head on right!

Miriam said...

Hey girl, you and your high school memories are hilarious! As to Missy, you should think about her maturation. Sure High school sucks, big time, it did for many of us, but it also allowed us to mature with other kids at the same rate (even if she seems more mature, being around kids her age is causing some of it). If she skips a year, she might be accelerating too quickly, even if she thinks she's ready... it can be really lonely being the youngest and starting a new school (culinary) etc... I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were her, but make sure she's emotionally ready and she's not skipping out on stuff she might not realize is available in highschool (goofing off with friends for an extra year, the joys of being young, etc). xoxo lady!! -M